ubl-cmsc message

Subject: [ubl-cmsc] Minutes from 23-MAY-02 Conference Call

Attendees:
Bill Burcham		YES
Dave Carlson
Mark Crawford
Fabrice Desre
Matt Gertner		YES
Arofan Gregory
Phil Griffin
Eduardo Gutentag 	YES
Eve Maler
Dale McKay
Aidan Shackleton
Gunther Stuhec
Chandra Tamirisa
Paul Thorpe 		YES

---

(1) TAAT vs. Paella vs. Schematron

Summary of TAAT, Paella and Schematron. Discussion of pros and cons of each
approach:

- TAAT. Pros: ability to model just about anything as a transformation.
Cons: Doesn't model the semantic relationship between the core and derived
types.
- Paella. Pros: uses schema derivation, but provides an opt-out for cases
where this really is feasible. Cons: Neither here nor there, gives the user
the freedom to model arbitrary "derived" types which are not actually
derived from the core type. Also is quite complex.
- Schematron. Pros: very powerful and flexible, Schematron is a
well-accepted technology. Cons: Doesn't address the issue of extension, just
restriction. Forces people to use an additional technology (Schematron).

Discussion of the question of why we even need to discuss the context
methodology now, considering our still tenuous grasp of the use cases.
Suggestion by Matt that we extend Bill's specialization paper (as planned)
to include discussion of all approaches, but postpone as decision until
later in the process when (hopefully) the use cases will be clearer. Eduardo
suggests that, having set all the ideas down on paper and worked through
them, we may find that we have reached consensus.

Action: Everyone will review the specialization framework document. Achieve
consensus, through discussion on the mailing list, as to the definitions and
requirements laid out in the document.
Action: Matt and Eduardo will create an analysis of TAAT and Schemantron
that fits into the (potentially updated) framework. Bill will create an
analysis of Paella that fits into the framework.

(2) Use Cases

Some action items deferred from April 10th call. They should be completed by
the end of the Minneapolis face-to-face.

Action: Clean up use cases and identify patterns -- Matt
Action: Create test cases based on different combinations of context drivers
-- Arofan [Ed Note: What does this mean?]
Action: Work through test cases using TAAT -- Eduardo
Action: Work through test cases using Paella -- Bill
Action: Work through test cases using Schemantron -- Matt

(3) Face-to-Face

Since Matt, Bill, Paul and possibly others will not be at the F2F, it
doesn't make sense to have formal meetings. Some work will proceed
informally (e.g. Eduardo working on the paper). Eduardo will do the
presentation at the beginning of the meeting for the other SCs.

(4) Next Steps

Schedule conference call the week after the F2F.

---

Call ended at X:58