Subject: [Fwd: Re: [ubl-comment] Re: [EDI-L] ebXML CPA/CPP Estimate]

In my haste, i omitted the discussion list from my reply to this thread, so here it is....

Mike, let me thank you for stirring up the myriad of hornet's nests with your article (excellent, once again!).  the debate on these various lists would be poorer without you.

i would like to keep the UBL library content team's profile fairly low at this stage.  we are trying to digest the work load ahead and its unwise to make a strong position on anything.  however, i will give you my personal assessment and the answers i would give if this came up in a UBL meeting.

firstly, what you have stated is a reasonable description of our purpose, but may lead to a false impression about the role of xCBL.  we are not terribly interested in harmonizing xCBL, in fact xCBL can do whatever it likes.  our BIE library will be expressed in XML as the UBL vocabulary.  it will undoubtably not be backward compatible with xCBL, nor does it need to be.  this point emphasises that UBL is not a xCBL initiative - its just that, given all the choices of starting places, this was deemed most practical (i did not say 'valuable' or 'technically correct' or 'politically acceptable').  Rather like your writings, we needed to draw some lines in sand and attract debate.

with respect to ebXML Core Components, your second sentence beginning "There is a UBL subcommittee..." may be misleading. we are not delving into the CC  catalog itself.  we will submit to ebXML CC, a set of BIEs and the context drivers that refine them.  your subsequent sentence (beginning "In this process..."), describes the situation perfectly.

i am glad you raised the question of code sets.  in EDI structures, i felt, there were always two type of code sets.  Firstly are the codes that encourages adoption of externally recognised values for element (ISO 3166 Country codes, UN/LOCODE, etc..).  The others were introduced as implementation features to avoid having restrictive sets of element names (your example of  the Buyer code is a good one).  Using these implementation specific codes meant the designers could tack on other codes without having to change the element definitions (eg somebody realises the need for a 'person to blame' party can have the 'PTB' code added without breaking the standard).

i think the second situation is different because we are actually trying to describe an associated hierarachy of classes.  'party' is actually a generalisation of 'buyer', (or, as you stated, 'buyer' is a type of 'party').  as such 'buyer' will inherit some values from a 'party' (maybe 'contact details') and have its own as well (maybe 'credit limit').  this seems logical because 'buyer' is a class not an object. however, rather than attempting to define all these sub-classes, the EDI solution has been to allow extendible lists codesets to define the sub-classses.  with the entensiblily of XML, we dont need to adopt such complexities.

all this leads me to suggest that in the Library Conent work we shall be basing the design decisions on what the actual BIE or aggregate BIE is (i.e. the conceptual model of the data), rather than the implementation expression in a particular syntax.

thank you for teasing out the issue, it has allowed me to clarify the situation and highlighted a strategy to follow,  in my mind at least!

i welcome your comments.

Mike Rawlins wrote:
3C0595E4.B58140FA@rawlinsecconsulting.com">