Subject: [ubl-comment] RE: Revised Ontolog Invitation Letter

I am interested in participating as an observer, especially I am interested to find out how this work relates to semantic web.

Regards,

Sally Chan
Associate Technical Fellow
The Boeing Company
Boeing Commercial Airplanes
IS - Architecture & eBusiness
206-544-7488  <--- New

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt Conrad [mailto:conrad@sagebrushgroup.com]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 12:35 AM
To: ontolog@forums.cim3.net; ubl-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Peter P. Yim; Leo Obrst
Subject: Revised Ontolog Invitation Letter

Friends and associates,

This message is an invitation to join the reconstituted Ontolog discussion group.  For those of you who were once subscribed to the [ubl-ontolog] forum, you will need to respond to subscribe to this new forum.  This is the only general call for participation that we currently expect to distribute.

Charter

Ontolog is an open forum to:

Background

In March and April of 2002, members of the OASIS Universal Business Language (UBL) Committee with backgrounds and interests in ontologies attempted to kick off and charter a discussion dealing with ontological issues under auspices of UBL Library Content Subcommittee (http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lcsc/).

Two factors made this approach problematic: 1) Early feedback indicated more interest in learning about ontologies than applying experience with ontological development 2) Tight timetables, deadlines, and priorities within the UBL effort made it an inappropriate forum.

After conversations with the chair of the UBL committee, Jon Bosak, the conveners of this forum decided to reconstitute the Ontolog forum outside of the UBL effort around the statements of mission listed in the above charter.

Objectives

In addition to the primary statements of purpose:

How It Will Work

What We Expect Each of You To Do

What We Hope Each of You Will Do

We would like to see Ontolog become the forum of choice for discussing the development and application of business ontologies.  With your participation, we expect this to quite feasible.

/s/ The conveners of the Ontolog forum,

   Kurt Conrad         <conrad@sagebrushgroup.com>
   Leo Obrst           <lobrst@mitre.org>
   Peter Yim           <yimpp@cim-oem.com>