Subject: Re: [ubl-comment] Maybe I have misunderstood it...

To bit a bit harsh/blunt, this could be interpreted as saying you are not

trying to produce a universal standard, just a framework that small

communities (of big companies) can use for their own purposes.

Seriously if UBL is to become universal, and certainly the EU have

indicated that they would like it to, such things have to be defined

to that many implementations can inter-operate without having to

find out first which flavor your trading partner has adopted.

The existence of additional agreements in order to use UBL could

be seen as an admission of failure.

I can quite see that the Codes fall into at least three categories

and that these need to be handled in different manners:-

1) Those derived from International lists, such as countries and

currencies. This also applies to things like units of measure which

are the subject of international standards. Deriving those from their

external source is the only way to go and this seems to be done.

2) Common usage within an industry. For example in the cereal seed

business they can be packed by weight or seed count. Seed counts

are not much use in the milk business, nor are things like thousand

grain weights. Likewise the airfreight and maritime logistics worlds

have well developed codes. Either there need to be a super set of all which

might be unwieldy, or they need to be clearly marked as to where they come

from - which you do well.

3) Structural or protocol codes. These are the ones that are

sadly lacking, and are absolutely vital for interoperability.

There may need to be multiple level codes, so a standardized one

and an explanatory one, but the standardized one is a basic

requirement for a usable general standard.

The Internet Email standards (or come to that the rest of the Internet) would

not have been widely adopted if such items had been left open. And in fact

the problem areas are exactly those that were loosely defined. This has given

rise to such things as at least two confirmation of delivery implementations,

and the lack of definition about the tie-up of the outer SMTP envelope and the

inner message envelope is the reason why most of the spam emails

get through.

(getting off my high horse)

David