Subject: Recap of our subcommittee rules

UBL chairs,

Here is the rule regarding prospective members in subcommittees
that the TC adopted in April.  Summary: I was mistaken in my
recollection that prospective TC members can be voting members of
subcommittees.  However, their SC status during the probationary
period is not "prospective member" but rather "nonvoting member."
The reasoning went like this:

/=================================================================
| If we want prospective TC members immediately to be able to post
| to the mail lists of the SCs in which they wish to participate
| (and I think we do), then our policy must be to add new
| prospective TC members to the relevant SC lists as "member"; no
| other choice is available.
|
| If this is the case, then the only thing to be decided here is
| whether we want prospective TC members (who can't even post to the
| ubl list) to be able to vote in subcommittee meetings and, perhaps
| more importantly, to be counted toward a quorum in subcommittee
| meetings.  My hunch is that in general we don't, in which case our
| policy should be (a) in the general case, to immediately register
| prospective TC members as nonvoting members of the SCs in which
| they wish to participate and change them to voting members of the
| SCs when they become full members of the TC, and (b) in the
| special case, to register prospective TC members as voting members
| of an SC if the SC has been set up that way.  I'm thinking in the
| latter case of the Liaison SC.

Lots more on this below.

Jon