ubl-dev message

Subject: Major namespace value structural change for a UBL 1.0-cd2?

Dear UBL TC,

I refer to the latest UBL 1.0-cd (version 2, dated Aug 2004)
at:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200408/msg00075.html

The namespace value for CommonAggregateComponents schema
in UBL 1.0-cd (May 2004) is:

"urn:oasis:names:tc:ubl:CommonAggregateComponents:1:0"

But for the UBL 1.0-cd (version 2), it has become:

"urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonAggregateComponents-1.0"

The change in namespace value structure seems to me very drastic
for a rather "tame" version upgrade from 1.0-cd to 1.0-cd2.
(The same structural change is found in all the other schemas).

Notably, the "tc" component has been changed to "specification",
the implied meaning of which throws me off into wondering
what to expect if there's another cd3.

Also, "schema" and "xsd" together seems somewhat redundant,
even if TC now wants to admit the possibility of future methods
of expressing schema (eg. relax-ng, etc).  With the presence
of "schema" segment in the namespace value, it sounds like
there's possibility that UBL wants to standardize other aspects
beyond schema (so the possible namespace value could start
with "urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:xxxxx").  Is that the
intention?

Finally, the version segment representation has been changed
from ":1:0" to "-1.0".  I certainly hope such important demarcation
characters will not be casually altered from version to version,
as this could cause major parsing difficulty for applications
that could break down namespace values for higher-level purposes.

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML
Tel: +65-6820-2979