ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Proposal to Update UBL Lite from version 0.2 to version 0.3

At 2004-09-10 07:44 -0400, MCRAWFORD@lmi.org wrote:
>Can you please clarify what you mean by UBL Lite?  Is this a Stephen
>Green effort, or a UBL sanctioned endeavor.  If the former rather than
>the latter, perhaps a different name that does not imply UBL sanctioning
>would be more appropriate.

Using a subset of UBL, where instances of UBL Lite conform *as* instances
of UBL without any changes, does not (in my mind) imply any kind of
sanctioning by the committee.  It is merely a method of using that which is
defined by the committee without violating anything defined by the committee.

No one is questioning that which is defined by the UBL committee, merely
using a subset of that which is defined, and using it in a way that does
not infract any rules or constraints.

Those who choose to utilize that which is defined as UBL Lite are, indeed,
promoting UBL ... I don't see any problems using UBL in the name, and I can
only see benefits that would flow to UBL as a whole by a wide adoption of a
subset.  Those whose needs grow to more than the subset can then "move up"
to full UBL.

This is a grand opportunity to promote all of UBL by meeting the needs of
people who can accomplish their electronic commerce using only a subset.

I think back to Jon's often-used analogy of UBL is to electronic commerce
as HTML is to hypertext publishing.  We've all been believing that as HTML
was a simple application of publishing that became widely adopted, UBL is a
simple application of electronic commerce that we think will become widely
adopted.  Well, first users of HTML used a dramatically small and
conformant subset of HTML to satisfy their publishing requirements until
their requirements grew to the point where they took more advantage of
using more of HTML.

So, a long way to say that I believe using "UBL" in the name of any
conformant subset is both appropriate and desirable, and will be beneficial
to the whole.

I hope this helps.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/bc