ubl-dev message

Subject: SV: [ubl-dev] UBL and proposed IPR policy changes

>Why would we need to incorporate in UBL any technology that requires
>licensing?
I can think of one reason which would be the current structure of patent
laws makes it extremely easy to use vague terminology to patent a process.
As so many patents are taken out with vague parameters UBL and other
standards will of necessity find themselves stepping on someone elses
claimed territory, with the best of intentions. Standards organizations do
not have the deep pockets to combat every specious patent out there.
 Now I think we all know the patent system is broken, and sooner or later
it's going to need to be fixed, it might be the unthought hope that this
functions as a temporary fix, allowing UBL and other standards to continue
development, until such a time as the patent system gets fixed - hopefully
in a way beneficial to UBL and other standards.

I don't think that is a plan per se, rather an unacknowledged desire.