ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: SV: [ubl-dev] UBL and proposed IPR policy changes

Bryan,

Unfortunately you do not cure the disease by taking more of what makes
you sick in the first place!

Let's just look at a potential scenario for a moment.  Say we have UBL
9200 series of business
transactions - for the foobar business process.  And a community adopts
this and is using it
successfully worldwide.  Now along comes Company X and says we have just
been awarded
a patent on process Y.

So - they look at our charter - and say - "and you have rules for
licensing, so pay-up or else".

And we look at their claims and realize that their patent really has
nothing to do with our process,
and worse - we developed the 9200 series based on public process work
that should have
negated their patent anyway.

I think we're worse off with some open door IPR statement than none at
all.  If we have zero
licesening - then we really are saying - yes - we take due care that
what develop is royality
and license free.  And what's more - by basing our technologies on
longstanding open public
specifications - we really do build in an ability to show prior publicly
available knowledge.
With a zero licensing policy - then we are not opening any doors or
leaving any room for
legal actions.

Look at what the Apache Foundation did -
http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2004-09-03-a.html

Back to Company X - what they will then do is go after a few poster
child companies in the
space.  They'll pick small vulnerable companies - and a few larger ones
- and issue legal
actions.  Now these cases will be here in the US - because elsewhere
governments will step
in and protect their local interests.  We know that there are companies
out there that buy-up
patents - and then aggressive extort money from companies in this way.
They prey on
foriegn companies especially - who fear losing access to US markets.
Frankly by having
any kind of IPR licensing door - looks to me this leaves companies more
vulnerable to this
not less!

The push back that we can have is to publicize such leach companies and
get bad press
out there for them - that will hurt them in court cases for sure, and
cause banks and
investors to turn away from these companies.  That is why we have OASIS
in the first place.

This is the world we have today - and given the current US
adminstration(s) and focus - I do
not see this changing in the near timeframe - its going to take 5+ years
to fix this at the level
of international trade agreements.

Consider for a moment if international governments thru the WTO were to
agree that certain
standards organizations - such as the W3C, ISO and OASIS have an
exemption status for their
specifications.  That would be very smart - whereby internationally
developed concensus
standards could not be compromised by IPR claims.

Again - any chance of getting such an agreement at the level of the WTO
- would be compromised
if you were already allowing licensing of IPR!

I'm really seeing here - that particularly the US Government has created
this situation - and we
need to put the onus there on getting this fixed.  Not dig a deeper hole
for ourselves in the
meantime.

Thanks, DW.
.