ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Best practice for adding information to UBL entities?

Item (1) that you mentioned is a guide within UBL.  It
makes some suggestions, and you might read it for background.

I like your (2) suggestion better.  I can't say if this is
best or not best practice, but it seems the more appropriate
way to preserve the use of UBL component schemas, obtain
interoperability up to the UBL component blocks being used,
and yet be able to manage some form of customization on your
own without getting into the TC work etc.  You'd need to use
your own namespace obviously.

If making a profile for small businesses out of UBL is seen
as a form of customization, then you can read about an article by
Stephen Green and Ken Holman at:

"The Universal Business Language and the Needs of Small Business
- Expressing Constraints in XML Documents to provide a Small
  Business Profile"
http://www.itsc.org.sg/synthesis/2004/4_UBLandSmallBiz.pdf

An intro guide together with a section on "The Implementation
Challenge" by Tim McGrath can be found at:

"Universal Business Language"
http://www.itsc.org.sg/synthesis/2004/4_UBL.pdf

Finally, I'll also point you to:

"Tapping Standards from Nature - Atomic Model for Creating
Electronic Message Schemas"
http://www.itsc.org.sg/synthesis/2004/4_TappingStd.pdf

which describes in detail what my comments on (2) are.
(Apologies on this self-reference, but just that the article
is my attempt to comment on (2) in much greater detail
whenever there are such similar questions or discussions)

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML
Tel: +65-6820-2979