ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL and a functional SQL schema

There were some "thoughts-in-progress" along the lines you
mentioned, which I was hoping to expound further in my
mid-Feb trip to Paris-London, but ended up enjoying too much
of these cities... :)

Anyway, like you said, it's not difficult to start rolling
up the sleeves and scribbling something SQLish.  The difficult
parts that I found was in unrolling the recursive references
in the ABIEs, finding "suitable" fixed values for the unboundedness
of those 0..n cardinalities, and mapping various UBL namespaces
onto tables.  Potentially there may be a few ways of doing
it, giving differently structured SQL schema sets that could
cater to most UBL instances, but unable to absorb some
elaborate instances that mobilizes every aspect of the UBL
schemas.

Otherwise, it's easy :)

And, to be fair to the XML Database folks, SoftwareAG has been
doing XML databases for years and their Tamino Servers are
quite well respected.  But even the best products may also
not seem "there" to you likely because even a hand-crafted
RDBMS schema would need to work around, first, the above concerns
on UBL schema--> SQL schema (with instance loss due to incomplete
translation).

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML