ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL and a functional SQL schema

Hi.

> This is what we have been espousing as the true benefit of XML for
> 7+ years now.
>
> If you are using an RDBMS that supports XML storage types then
> its even more effective.
>
> Why disassemble and reassemble the XML at the atomic level
> when you do not have to?!?

The essential question is querying. If you don't need any structural
querying, CLOBs are the best choice. If you do need querying, the
question is how complex are your queries? Would XML indexing
capabilities of your database or search engine like Lucene be enough?
Finally, if you assume your queries will be "quite" complex or you can't
predict their complexity, you may finally run into trouble with
CLOB-like storage.

Bye.
/lexi