ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: RE: [ubl-dev] Datatype Methodology RE: [ubl-dev] SBS andRestricted Data Types

Looking now at restricting datatypes using substitution groups
in UBL 2:
There is a problem in that one would have to use xsi:type to
guide tools towards the restricted datatype and if this isn't
supported then both the unrestricted and the restricted
datatypes are valid (as far as I know). [The use of the 'abstract'
W3C Schema attribute requires a change to the original schemas
- no use here, I gather.] So I wouldn't want to use substitution
groups to restrict datatypes in UBL 2 (and one cannot with UBL 1.0).
They may be good for extensions though but UBL 2 adds extension points
to allow that in another way (using xsd:any). That's my opinion at
present.

So the remaining ways to restrict datatypes in UBL, while complying
with CCTS, and not requiring that each and every document context for
a particular datatype be affected, seem to be other than with W3C XML
Schema mechanisms (except for defining new documents reusing much of
UBL but changing much to use new qualified). More options are available
if one is content to have the restrictions apply wherever the datatype
is used.

All the best

Stephen Green

Quoting stephen.green@systml.co.uk: