ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] ebXML approval retrospective

Fulton,

General Inertia indeed holds the key.

During the height of the .com thrash corporates were willing to
throw $ at anything to do with XML out of fear and panic.
Once they realized that instead of a tidalwave they
were facing a slow tidal swell - the rush was off - and
in-place EDI systems continued to offer hard to beat
ROI migration v Maintenance in-situ metrics.  AS2 also
is a factor - offering low-cost internet delivery with
old EDI payloads - bad limitations - but known factors.

Now - we see new deployments using ebXML because
of the better infrastructure this gives you - but - yes
its not just ebXML - its across the board - that
just-write-code approaches are proving remarkably
resilient - for a lot of reasons we have noted earlier.

Once however the newer infrastructure has some
proven metrics and success stories - then pressure
will once again be on corporates to get caught up
in the IT technology race.

Peter Fingar has thrown out this piece - but we are
yet to see this translate into aggressive adoption
as opposed to just-in-time adoption!

 http://www.mkpress.com/extreme/

DW