ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] ebXML approval retrospective

Fulton/David,

agree with your points although I don't paint such a black picture (as
a pointer - it doesn't help that ebXML proponents often seem to be
their own worst critics). Yes SOA/SOAP has greatly under-performed
against the ridiculous hype that fan-fared its arrival, but IMO most
designers and technical architects have realised this for quite some
time and have focussed attention on the subset of the available and
genuinely useful specifications and standards to build real service
based solutions (that is certainly what I have been up to for the last
few years and it has been more than possible to implement
sophisticated and secure services, including workflow and BPM (not the
same thing - but that's another debate :-).

Timing is the critical issue (as per my earlier comment about ebXML -
maybe I tried too early !), and whereas that does operate as a
constraint it is can be of assitance to organisations that need time
to develop and mature their understanding of what it takes to put
together and manage a services portfolio (deciding on granularity,
governance, versioning, managing service registry, canonical data
models et al).

IT is a practical profession and those of us that are practitioners
can see through the hype-curve. Hopefully we are coming out of the
trough of disillusionment and are moving into the slope of
enlightement :-)

Regards

Fraser.