ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Low level versioning

Steve,

Belaboring the point here - this is exactly why you want to separate the
versioning off into a layer (aka CAM).

Notice fault tolerance is a corner stone here with CAM.  There are
version changes you care about, and those you don't.  CAM gives you the
ability to react to those based on the XML instance content directly -
or ignore them.

As Chin pointed out - the danger when the schema is the versioning layer
is that your parser will reject something for a schema change in a
sub-factor - that you have no interest in and makes no difference to
your system.

In the CAM approach - you only need to change the CAM template when a
UID item changes that is in one of your templates (and maybe not even -
it can auto-adjust from a registry definition reference!!!).

Fault tolerance is absolutely essential in making broad versioning and
interoperability work without a exponential cost in terms of support
and maintenance.

One most obvious touch point for this is codelists and when permitted
value changes.  Do you want your system to fail when new values are
introduced - or adapt automatically?  Your decision will of course
depend on business context - and you want the ability to configure
behaviours depending - some examples - issue error and reject
transaction; issue warning /alert and accept transaction but put in
holding area; automatically update accepted values and proceed; or
ignore data changes - and pass content to downstream processing.

Good fault tolerance is essential whereas brittle behaviours - just
throw an exception and stop - is counter to the vision of agility and
adaptable XML-driven systems.

DW