ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Re: [ebxml-dev] P2P for e-business - applications?

Steve,

Actually I think we need LESS of test suites and more of software that just works EASIER!

Notice I've been saying for years - what happened to simple XML and the vision Jon and Tim gave us?

10 years ago when we started the XML/edi Group - the whole promise was agile information exchanges - the Fusion of Five.  Using simple re-usable XML components to move away from static rigid EDI-style B2B. Also the critical piece overlooked is the 5th one - Agents.  This was drawn from my experience with Prolog and being able to build smart interfaces that are fault tolerant and self-aligning given a wide range of inputs - instead of being dumb and brittle.

But who are the drivers here - the end users or the big consulting and vendor implementers?

Ask yourself - why we have gone from simple XML concepts to wildly complex programmer controlled systems - driven by the W3C extensions to basic XML, XSD, namespaces, complex typing, object models, and the list marches on. B2B is not a main W3C focus - just an afterthought - and mainly what has happened is that EDI has been morphed into XML syntax - that's like a veneer of complex markup overlaid on top of the raw data - that has really not fulfilled the whole promise of making self-aligning interfaces possible.  We have a work in progress.  And instead of going for more simplicity - we're told to bet on Web2 stuff now - and even more PhD complexity like OWL and RDF - which makes great research projects for the academics that help run the W3C - but is it useful in the real world?

If all I'm doing is selling "tins of baked beans on eBay" - I don't need all that right?  I want stuff that makes my life very simple - like the UPS advert on TV - there's 8 things in running your business - and you want to focus on the two that make money - services and marketing - and the other 6 should just "be there" - print a label for UPS - let them take care of that - its all in the label encoding.

Which brings us back to CAM templates - and being able to create simple means to allow agent software to act on the exchanges - align them - and make them work with minimal user intervention. That's the promise of CAM - making the software able to be smarter by providing a common simple representation of the essential alignment concepts needed.

I do agree that the core of ebXML provides mechanisms that expose the facilitators and glue for this.  What we've been grappling with is exposing those in simple and re-usable ways - and finally we're getting there.

Take for example CPA.  The original TPXML was relatively simple - then CPA xml was derived by programmers and added scary levels of complex syntax overhead to that - that was tough to challenge without appearing to be a Luddite - and obfuscation and false turns - and finally - after years of head scratching - we're now able to profile and hide that machine level complexity using XML techniques - that allow the user to treat a CPA in a simple and obvious way. It's not been trivial getting there, but now CPA v4 beckons that can eventually take that to the next level of easy (maybe just part of the UPS 3D barcode next?)

That's the core of the "P2P" model - not the fact that it uses P2P or whatever - but that's it simple to setup and use effectively - while enabling the users to do powerful collaborative tasks in a secure and reliable way - that's what I believe people mean when they say "P2P".

I believe we have turned a corner here - driven by advances that have helped and empowered us that are nothing to do with XML.  The maturity of java tools now compared to 1997 - makes it vastly easier to do exciting, sophisticated and interesting things (I can even do Prolog in Java!) more easily for single developers.  The CAM engine is a living example.  Also the OSS model has empowered communities to displace large vendor lock-in coupled with the internet that provides the mature collaborative medium today.  And then business has realized that they can use this all to create real solutions based on open community standards and paid people to do it and companies like RedHat emerged.

Those three things are powering ebXML forward today - and I view it as merely a matter of time here before the B2B applicance emerges - and the next generation of integration kicks-in as people learn collaboratively what can be enabled easily.  Putting these peices together and making it easy takes time - and five years into the ebXML work - things are looking very promising.  We still have much to do - but the tools are so much better and more empowering - and that is the key here - to create that global adoption we have long sought and know we need ultimately.  It's not just one thing by itself - but the Fusion of Five that we're still seeking to make happen here.

Cheers, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)