ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] How big can the invoice number field be?

At 2008-02-13 00:11 -0700, stephen.green@systml.co.uk wrote:
>Not me that's asking. I guess Thomas would prefer it if all this
>was packaged up and maybe distilled down into just a few links.
>The question asked was pretty simple. It just looks a tad like
>the UBL solution is even more complex than the EDI one. I don't
>think it needed to be like this, shame it has gotten a bit like
>this though. In short I would say Thomas and others would need
>a rule like 'UBL doesn't provide datatype length restrictions
>(for database storage, etc) - use EDI ones' and maybe some
>helpful ready-made artefacts to that end to aid interoperability
>and conformance across implementations to make it real.

The need for creating the "ready-made artefacts" for field-length
testing was identified in May 2007, but there hasn't been a lot of
new effort and time donated to the committee in order to share the
ever-increasing workload.

I hope readers of UBL-Dev who are able to contribute to the effort
would consider joining OASIS and the UBL technical committee to help
realize some of the artefacts that the community would find helpful.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/bc