ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] How big can the invoice number field be?

Just to contribute my humble opinion.

I am simply an UBL user. We have just implemented UBL as our Electronic
Invoicing solution for about a 400 customer base. All travel agents.
We chose UBL because (1) it has been chosen by various European countries as
a standard, (2) it was simple enough and (3) we had some helping
documentation from NES, OIOUBL and other such standardisation organisations.

I think one good document on real world implementation practices, with
pointers to lists of constraints or codes from EDIFACT (as an example),
would be much better then a lot of genericode, schematron or whatever format
of files. I think anybody looking for UBL would really get a great jumpstart
if such a document existed. Something like the cXML (commerce eXtensible
Markup Language) User's Guide, available at www.cxml.org.

For us users, your "standardization body" world is a bit strange: lots of
dispersed documentation, with a lot of documents depending on each other -
its a bit like reading the national law publications every 15 days! :-)

All the best,
Joel Paula
Managing Partner
Scientia - Análise e Desenvolvimento de Software, Lda.
www.scientia.pt