ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] UBL Processes

I'll comment on the "SLA service management" issue.

An SLA between a customer company and a telecommunications provider might
have both service provisioning commitments and service performance
commitments.

A service provisioning commitment might be, for example, that if the
customer company opens up a new retail branch, the communications provider
will provision it within some committed lead time after receiving a service
request. The various UBL processes and transactions support that process
scenario. If the service is "configurable" (e.g., the particular branch has
to choose more or less capacity, pick from a menu of service or hardware
options), UBL offers the "punchout" option.

On the other hand, a vendor's SLA might include day-to-day performance
commitments, for example, 99.9% service availability or a bit rate error of
no more than X. Current UBL transactions are not applicable to actual
performance monitoring and threshold violation detection although the
processing of the penalty payments would fit.

If, for example, the customer company monitors the service (rarely the case
although certainly desirable), then the monitoring process could pass
violation data to a business process that sends the appropriate transaction
(e.g., an invoice) to the vendor. If the vendor performs the service
monitoring, the same process could happen, with the vendor sending a
remittance and remittance advice. Getting vendors to pay is often, for no
good reason, often a "high touch" drawn out activity, so the scenario of
having monitoring devices kick off compensation payments is more technically
doable that commercially doable.

					Fulton Wilcox
					Colts Neck Solutions LLC