ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL Processes

The registering of MIME types was discussed recently on
XML-Dev, eg:

XML for application-type languages need a MIME type. That
means XML languages like Schematron, XSLT, etc. UBL is
a document/data language and not really suitable - as
seen by comparing it with existing registered XML
MIME-types:
http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype
Types registered seem to be mainly those where there
needs to be processing according to the type immediately
the XML layer is encountered. With UBL the need to
distinguish the syntax as being UBL rather than just XML
would come later on in the processing of the document;
there doesn't seem to me to be much need to understand it
as specifically UBL until it reaches the XML routing and
business application. I would have thought that by then
it would be within the realm of processing where it is
expected that UBL is used, from trading partner
agreements and collaboration / web services definitions.

Is there a need you have encountered to be aware that
UBL is the language of XML used before the XML gets to
the processes which already know what it is going to be?

It isn't expected that UBL would ever be used without there
first being trading partner agreements (and SLAs) about it
being used, such as with a particular endpoint.

--
Stephen D. Green

Partner
SystML, http://www.systml.co.uk