ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Question regarding document copy and attachment in UBL

With respect to scenario 2, as Stephen Green notes, in some cases, the
requestor might want a literal clone of the original, not for a "copy" that
has any new information, including a new copy number. If the receiving party
never received the original because of machine or link failure, the
receiving party may want in effect a "retransmit" rather than a new "copy."

If the receiving party did in fact process the original, then that party may
indeed want something that is a new copy, with a copy indicator. Time may be
a factor, because someone asking for a copy months after the transaction was
processed may very well want a copy indicator to avoid processing the
invoice.

It is prudent for originators to archive originals to be able to
"retransmit" originals rather than generate new "copies."

						Fulton Wilcox
						Colts Neck Solutions LLC

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Green [mailto:stephengreenubl@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 11:15 AM
To: UBL-Dev
Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Question regarding document copy and attachment in
UBL

On 08/08/2008, Diogo Almeida <diogo.borges.almeida@gmail.com> wrote:

> #1 Scenario: A supplier issues an UBL 2.0 invoice but wants to send some
> support documents along with it.
> The first question that I ask is if I can send them inside the UBL? Can
this
> be done using the Attached Document?

I would consider using the extension element for this if the attachments
are XML. Although the expected use of this is as a way to extend the XML
as a customisation, it was always a use case from the start that it could be
used to add data such as accounting/costing information to an invoice, say.

I'm not sure the Attached Document is appropriate for adding data to an
existing
document but I might be wrong. I'll let someone else comment on how best to
use it.

> #2 Scenario: The receiver of the invoice asks its supplier to resend the
> invoice.
> From what I've managed to find this can be done by marking the document as
> copy. Is there anything else that needs to be done to state that the
> document is being resent?

The CopyIndicator is indeed there for exactly this reason. You might also
need
to think about whether the UUIDs (if you use them) should be the same
as with the
original document. I would say they should but it may be something for the
auditors concerned to decide in your usage scenario. You could argue on one
hand
that if you send a document with a changed CopyIndicator contents then it is
not
the same document (the signature, etc might have to be different) so
it should have
a new UUID. However, if the UUID is used (as intended) as a way to identify
the
business document uniquely then changing it may prevent its use for
that purpose.
I would say to ask any stakeholder auditors who might have a preference but
otherwise just change the CopyIndicator. On the other hand, this is when
sending
the document again from the business application. Sometimes the message
handler (technical layer) resends it, in which case it probably doesn't
change
anything at all and probably keeps the same digital signature if one is
used.

--
Stephen D. Green

Partner