ubl-dev message

Subject: FW: [ubl-dev] Question regarding document copy and attachment in UBL

In my opinion,  any attachments (specially of a nature other then XML)
should be taken care of by the very system that is in charge of
transporting/storing the UBL document.
When we send an UBL document to our customers we also send one or more PDFs
along with it. This is taken care of by the transportation system. One of
the PDFs can be signaled as a Rendering of the UBL document (for
visualization purposes, if the storage system doesn't already provide one).
Anyway, the whole package is then delivered to customers, enabling the
applications on the customers' end to sort things out: processing the UBL
automatically and retrieving the PDFs for human inspection.

Joel Paula
Managing Partner
Scientia - Análise e Desenvolvimento de Software, Lda.
www.scientia.pt

-----Original Message-----
From: Diogo Almeida [mailto:diogo.borges.almeida@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 6:08 PM
To: ubl-dev@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Question regarding document copy and attachment in
UBL

I would consider using the extension element for this if the attachments
are XML. Although the expected use of this is as a way to extend the XML
as a customisation, it was always a use case from the start that it could be
used to add data such as accounting/costing information to an invoice, say.

I'm not sure the Attached Document is appropriate for adding data to an
existing
document but I might be wrong. I'll let someone else comment on how best to
use it.

The idea is to send an invoice with an embebed word or excel document with
some information about the invoice being sent. That information must be sent
as word document, excel, pdf or tif, so it can be persisted in FileNet, or
some other system.

Attached Document seems to solve this problem as I can, apparently, pass
anything into it. Another advantage is that it is part of UBL and not a
custom extention.

However, as I said I'm not an UBL expert, at all. More of a newbie. If
someone has an example of an embebed document with UBL I'd greatly
appreciate if I could take a look at it and how it was done.

As for the other point (copy indicator) I don't have anything else to add.
It's pretty much as you explained and we're going that route.

Best regards,
Diogo Almeida