ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] OB10 patent on common e-invoicing pattern?

Mikkel

One of the dimensions of the late 1990's internet-centric eBusiness "bubble" was that those involved genuinely thought that they invented fundamentally new "business methods" even though what they (we) were doing was nothing more than porting them.  Indeed, the existence of the Rossetta Stone is a reminder that ancient people had pretty sophisticated "methods" even if the technology instantiating them was primitive.

I am not a patent lawyer, but an analyst with experience in the eBusiness field, so I look at patent applications and issued patents as specs and compare them to what I am aware of that went before or that "invent" methods that, in this case, would be obvious (or even unavoidable) to someone approaching the problem of "electronic document exchange" (EDI).

Below is a link to a white paper that incorporates brief references to the historic evolution of EDI and eBusiness standards, starting with the TDCC (Transportation Data Coordinating Committee) in the 1970's along with various industrial groups – e.g., in the automobile industry. The white paper's description of what problems were being addressed in the 1970's and how to solve them parallel the language in the Patent Application. A number of these organizations still exist and can provide more detail as to their offerings in the 1970s and 1980s. . www.sagepss.com/SolutionFile.ashx?id=3956

Sage Partner's brief description makes it clear that most of the "business process" needs required to exchange business documents such as orders and invoices between trading partners were anticipated by these standards groups and instantiated by some of the early technology players such as IBM and General Electric (of the U.S.) and, not named, but indeed then an early player, AT&T, along with a host of EDI startups. I was part of AT&T's early eBusiness initiative in the early to mid 1980's, but once AT&T figured out that, because of very slow adoption and low customer willingness to pay in-network EDI translation, was destined to be a niche business, AT&T in about 1985 handed over its customer portfolio to GE and exited the business (later to re-enter it and learn once again that the adoption curve and customer willingness to pay were both low). Note that at the conceptual "process" level there is zero distinction between, say, "classic" EDI and for example UBL.

With respect to your chart in the blog:

The network layer "business process" that defines a "VAN" as opposed to a plain old network was "invented" by the U.S. FCC (Federal Communications Commission) in the 1970's under "Computer Inquiry 2", essentially to define the boundary between regulated and non-regulated services. As the FCC and various other regulators around the world concluded, AT&T and other regulated service providers could provide private line and dial service under regulated tariffs, but could not offer services such as X.25 packet switching and, especially, the speed and protocol conversion involved in marrying x.25 backbone packet service with regulated private line, ISDN and dialup services. Such end-to-end services were reserved for non-regulated VANs. On June 1, 1982, under CI 2 rules, AT&T formed a non-regulated subsidiary to offer VAN services (and I was a charter member of that AT&T entity). Under the brand name "Net 1000" AT&T in effect implemented everything on your chart having to do with network service and communications interoperability along with node-level service functionality (e.g., in-network programmability). In this regard, it was matched by IBM, GE and others.

At the "Routing" layer in which documents are received, sent, etc.,  as I described in my earlier note, the processes described in the current Patent Application (receiving inbound invoice documents, sending outbound documents, holding them, etc.) were anticipated and instantiated in the 1980s by repurposing email constructs – directories, profiles, and email boxes for EDI purposes. If a company signed up for EDI service with a VAN (value added network), the customer essentially was buying a somewhat hardened, more expensive email service (e.g., with the ability to retransmit archived messages).

The invoice-translation and "dynamic data" portions of the patent application describes how the hypothetical "apparatus" would 1) translate idiosyncratic inbound invoices (e.g., received from, say United States Steel) into some apparatus-standard intermediary form, 2) it would at some future time then retranslate the invoice from the intermediate version to the version suited to the recipient (e.g., Ford) and then send the resulting invoice to the recipient. The description of translating an inbound invoice into an intermediary form to avoid many to many translations was (and is) a familiar approach. For example,  in the bad old days of the 1980s and 1990s before Microsoft so kindly standardized the office environment for us all, there were translators from one word processing package to another that used intermediates.

The description in the application of what "apparatus" is needed to do the translation is so generic that from a programming perspective it can be (and was) instantiated any programming language that supports conditionals (If…Then), string functions, and arithmetic operators – e.g., Basic, COBOL, C, etc. If one had access to the spec for a 1980s translator package or reverse engineered the spec from the source code, it would exhibit and instantiate the essentials of "translation." The notion that everything was made new by innovations such as http or html or XML or TCP/IP as well as the overall "halo effect" of Internet eBusiness in my view blinded the USPO to the reality that predecessor technologies had instantiated what were thought of as "new" methods. The U.S. Patent office approved and indeed encouraged the submission of "business methods" patents during the Internet bubble years, leaving a challenging legacy.

Those who applied for business process patents are not to blame for applying and indeed may have had to do so to preempt others and to satisfy funders that their intellectual property was duly protected. Instead the USPO is to blame for not fully vetting the applications against prior art and, more specifically, not having examiners with the time and preparation needed to discern the essential commonalities between newly submitted business method patent applications and long-existing products and services (whose conceptual "business methods" were not protected by business process patents, because the USPO in the 1970s and 1980s did not encourage such applications).

                                                                                    Fulton Wilcox