ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] OB10 patent on common e-invoicing pattern?

@Fulton,
 I really appreciate your insightful and valuable contribution. I feel a lot more enlightened after reading your notes, and I think that quite a few patent lawyers will be grateful too. Your explanation of how the encouragement from USPO to patent business processes has changed over the years was especially interesting to me. It explains quite well the thinking that must have been going on in OB10. I do not have a particular interest in "flaming" anyone, and I would have preferred to settle this outside blogs and mail-lists. The patent is an anachronism from the "eBusiness bubble", and I would have wished that OB10 just quickly announced that they would not assert any patent claims. Instead there will be an expensive fight between patent lawyers that will not do OB10 any good.

@Nestor
 > The diagram in your blog is an exact match of the messaging architecture we designed in 1999
> and it is the same that is currently in use.
 Thank you for sharing this! Do you have any document published publicly prior to 2001 that you can make available as documentation to the patent lawyers?

@Danny
Thank you for the references. Scary info about the other patents. We are trying to change the landscape of public e-procurement in Europe and I did not expect having to deal with patents in that process.

@all
I would really appreciate any contributions of documents published prior to 2001 that could be used by patent attorneys in the various countries. Submit them to this list or my blog posts.

Thanks again
Mikkel