ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Collection Invoice

I agree with Roberto, the logical exchange (between partners
in an e-business collaboration) is best done at the level of
individual documents,  but it is still possible, and often
desirable, to optimize exchange of large amounts of
documents in a messaging protocol.

In ebMS 3.0, Part 2, we defined new functionality called
"bundling", which allows a sender to send a collection of
"logical" messages (where a "logical" message includes the
payload or payloads, like a UBL document and message
metadata) as a single "physical" message.  Submission and
delivery is still at the document level, so there are no
changes there.  The protocol uses agreement parameters that
control what can be bundled together, size/timing
parameters, how ordering and error handling work, and
control delivery policies.

The main benefit of bundling is to optimize exchange of
large amounts of relatively small messages. You avoid the
overhead of many small messages, each of which needs a
separate TCP/IP connections to be set up, SSL sessions to be
negotiated or resumed, reliable messaging and WS-Security
processing etc.

The benefits are even better when you combine bundling and
message compression, which is also in the new ebMS 3.0 Part
2, and you can send large amounts of documents in a single
SOAP message with compressed content.  As UBL invoices use
elements from the same schema and same UBL library, they
compress extremely well.  I did some experiments with three
XML document sets (13 UBL 2.0, 23 GS1 GDSN,  11 GS1 eCom 2.6
documents) and the message size of message bundles
(documents and metadata) is, in the worst case, just 8% of
the combined size of unbundled message. The best case was
the GDSN set with bz2 compression, at just 4% of size of the
uncompressed, unbundled messages.

Pim van der Eijk