ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Formatting of Identifiers in UBL documents

I like Ken's reasoning on this.

How would implementation guides represent these normative
representations of identifiers? For codelists there are genericode and
CVA files. Is there an equivalent technology for identifier normative
representation? If not, maybe there should be.

I think of the classic example of a date: Not strictly an identifier
(a philosophical question, though) but it provides a useful example of
the need for normative representation in the ISO date format. I would
think of two examples of a date normative representation for today's
date (both with the YYYY-MM-DD format in mind) : without punctuation
20140415 and with punctuation 2014-04-15. The visual display could
'15th April 2014', 'April 15, 2014', etc, etc. There is then the
standard documented by ISO for it and there is the implementation of
that standard in W3C XML Schema as the date data type.

Perhaps there would be significant value in implementation guides
trying to provide something like the ISO date format when defining
identifiers used in UBL implementations. How to do it though?
'Generiform'? I guess normative formatting for identifiers is out of
scope for Genericode and the OASIS Codelist Representation TC.

There might be some merit in advocating / promoting a convention of
identifier normative representations excluding punctuation and white
space where possible, including it only when essential to distinguish
between different identifiers; and pushing all further formatting into
the display. That would be like representing bank sorts codes always
as xxxxxx (not xx-xx-xx) in the document XML.

Cheers

Steve
Best regards

Steve