ubl-fpsc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-fpsc] Code lists as a repository of code list supplemental information

At 2003-07-11 11:57 +0800, Chin Chee-Kai wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, G. Ken Holman wrote:

> >>Rather than maintain two separate tables of information, we discussed in
> >>our FPSC conference call today how much easier maintenance would be if the
> >>currency symbol were kept in the currency code list documentation.

> >>The new would be along the lines of (though I am only guessing at what the
> >>classes might be):
> >>
> >><xs:enumeration value="USD">
> >>      <xs:annotation>
> >>              <xs:documentation>
> >>                      <xhtml:div class="Code_List._Expansion._String">
> >>                              <xhtml:p>US Dollar</xhtml:p>
> >>                      </xhtml:div>
> >>                      <xhtml:div class="Code_List._Expansion._Symbol">
> >>                              <xhtml:p>$</xhtml:p>
> >>                      </xhtml:div>
> >>              </xs:documentation>
> >>      </xs:annotation>
> >></xs:enumeration>
>
>Ken, can I check with you whether the "US Dollar" and "$" are
>kept for just convenient "in-line" reading of the codelist
>schemas, or that you'll have processors (XSLT processing included)
>that will plug out values from these known elements to
>perform other work like generating printouts?

The latter ... that any product or technology might read the XSD
expressions and distill the two transliterations:

   "USD" -> "US Dollar"
   "USD" -> "$"

.. and I suppose for input and validation purposes:

   "US Dollar" -> "USD"

For XSLT I would read the XSD file and synthesize an importable stylesheet
fragment.  Other tools would extract the information for their own purposes
in fulfilling the formatting specifications.

The FPSC published specifications would, for some outputs, require the
coded value to be expanded to either string or perhaps even both:

           "US Dollar $123.45"

Does this help?

...................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
North America public:  XSL-FO Aug 4,2003; XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc