ubl-fpsc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-fpsc] Agenda for today's FPSC call

Good morning, Chee-Kai!

At 2003-11-21 10:34 +0800, Chin Chee-Kai wrote:
>- Guidelines on electronic output forms design.
>   Rationale:  No two companies would have the same form for
>                 PO, Invoice, etc.  What and how should they
>                 do in order to design printout forms that
>                 they could somewhat claim to adhere to
>                 UBL

I don't think "adherence" applies to UBL forms as they are non-normative,
only illustrative.

>and/or UN-Layout forms layout guidelines?

Now *those* would, I think, have adherence and conformance issues because
they are, indeed, normatively specifying physical layouts.

>- Dummies' guide to why UN-Layout.
>   Rationale:  How does a standardized layout format cope with
>                 the need for diversified forms presentation in
>                 real-life businesses?
>                 What role does the UN-Layout documentation provide?
>                 I can use the outcome myself too :)

:{)} Couldn't we all??  Again, I would think this would come from UNeDocs
and not FPSC.  It isn't our area to specify world practices on layouts, and
I wouldn't want UNeDocs to think we would be interested in stepping on
their toes.

>- Consideration of input end, and input forms technologies
>   Rationale:  Electronic forms are equally in terms of capturing
>                 the right kind of source data, and laying out
>                 the fields in a way that can enhance logical
>                 grouping of data (as presentation to humans)
>                 and ease subsequent forms processing.

The minutes were posted with the meeting:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/event.php?event_id=2691&wg_abbrev=ubl-fpsc

But unfortunately, I've just realized that the public meeting notices in
KAVI point unfortunately to the protected version of the documents, not to
the public version of the documents.  I'm assuming this is a bug with KAVI
as the document is marked for the general public yet the system isn't using
the general public link.  Here is the unprotected copy of the minutes:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/4298/minutes-20031120.html

We've recorded the thoughts expressed about a mobile profile and
input-oriented perspectives, but the gentleman at our San Francisco meeting
(Ray?) didn't leave me his contact information and didn't join the FPSC call.

>- Consideration to work with TTSC and/or PISC
>   Rationale:  Other than guidelines, FAQ and dummies' guide on
>                 the "soft" side, the actual showcase would
>                 ultimately be in the process of generating
>                 printed layouts, merging pre-formated layouts
>                 with instances, etc.  These would point to the
>                 consideration/need to see if some parts of the
>                 work could align/be-borrowed-from TTSC/PISC.

You'll see in the minutes that we concluded with the proposal "the work of
FPSC be deemphasized, with teleconference meetings only every two weeks,
while the effort is put to PISC to establish new requirements for FPSC work".

>Just suggestions.

And much appreciated!  Thank you, Chee-Kai!

........................ Ken

--
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-01-??
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/bc