ubl-hisc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-hisc] input specs

At 2006-03-07 15:32 +0100, Bryan  Rasmussen wrote:
>Here is the attached document I've got so far in word or openoffice, need to
>fill up with elements from output specs.

Thanks, Bryan, for posting these.

>I've got a couple xslts for extracting the information from the output specs
>xml.

Excellent.  You will find one example (Order) of the latest
formatting specification model, and the explanatory text that Zarella
will be incorporating into the documents, at:

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-hisc/200603/msg00000.html

>The document outlines what I see as the parts to be filled out, and gives
>some idea of the filling out requirements, some parts are basically filled
>out now, others are empty other than being listed in the TOC.

Looks good.

Some comments while reading the document:

(1) - typo - looking at http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/ I note the
spelling of XForms in the document is incorrect

(2) - I like the use of the ReadOnly, Required, Relevant, Calculate,
and Constraint ... I didn't realize this was part of XForms

(3) - layout - please add section and sub-section numbers (using
something like DocBook would give this to you, but you don't have to use it)

(4) - regarding xsd:token, an attribute of type xsd:token *can* have
leading and trailing and embedded sequences of white-space characters
... when an XML processor delivers the tokens to an application the
processor normalizes the value, but that doesn't mean their presence is bad

(5) - typo - I believe "white-space" should not be typed without a
dash (though I've only recently figured this out and I still mess up
at times) throughout the document

(6) - while you are explicit in the verbiage of the "Dates" example,
I have always found it useful to document dates with values that are
unambiguously not confused for day and month ... so instead of
2003-11-12 perhaps use 2003-11-23 which not require someone to
actually read the text to understand the order ... it is obvious to
us what 2003-11-12 means, but still I think it best to provide an
unambiguous example

(7) - you don't mention punctuation in the currencies discussion, but
I think it is important that data entry by people might intuitively
include a currency symbol, thousands separators and decimal
separator, when schema datatypes only allow the decimal separator,
and then only a period for the decimal separator at that.  Thus, a
data entry application will have to massage data entry values to have
no punctuation other than a period for the decimal separator.

(8) - repeat (7) for the "Numbers" section ... someone might enter
"1,234" units, when the application needs to massage that into "1234".

(9) - I think the discussion of static form regions might need more
detail because I'm not quite grasping the essence of what you are
trying to convey.

Sorry, Bryan, for the late response, but I hope the above is helpful.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Washington,DC 2006-06-12/16
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc