Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] Questions re: mappings

As we discussed, here are my thoughts on these issues.  However, i would
like Jean to put her opinion on this.  my involvement was orginally
attempting to keep this process rolling and i don't want to overlap the
work she has been doing.

Just a general note to start:
the UN Layout forms have always been problematic for computer
applications.  many of these issues are not new and have been resovled
in a variety of ways.  what i suggest are simply my ideas/views - not
the definitive approach.

G. Ken Holman wrote:

> Thank you, Tim, for the mappings that you gave in:
>
>   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-lcsc/200301/msg00200.html
>
> Some observations and questions:
>
> (1) Order
>
> (1.1) - each of Transport Charges, Terms of Payment, Currency of
> Payment, and Buyer's Bank allow more than one entry but there is only
> a single line in the form.  I can space delimit the items so they
> appear on the one line, but overflow will be clipped.  If I signal an
> error on the overflow, formatting shuts down.  If I clip, the user
> won't know.  There are no guidelines regarding continuation pages for
> this item, and even if so I would be unable to overflow more than a
> single concept, which for now is the list of line items.

Some of these repeats are a manifestation of the data models UBl has
adopted and whilst theoretically they may repeat it is unlikely.  taking
the 80/20 rule, i would comma delimit all multiple values in a
left-right/top-down manner (e.g. USD,GBP, EUR or FOB,CAF, CAI and so
forth)  imagine how a typist would do it.  I think w could even let the
things spill into other sections - if we ever got that many.
I agree only the Item list should cause a page spill.

> (1.2) - in the absence of continuation forms, I've been using both a
> page number top right and an enumeration in the line items; I'd like
> to continue using the enumeration for now, so I suggest that we have:
>
>     B1234567
>      1 of 10
>
> or:
>
>      1 of 10
>     B1234567
>
> ... since I've allocated two lines per line item.  Can you suggest an
> alternative?

i dont fully understand your question.  I see "Page n of n" at the top
of each page and that's fine.  Within the Item, i see you are using "n
of n" - this isn't what is supposed to be here.  this is a buyer's
reference to a specific order line - not the actual item's identifier
(that would/should be part of the description - which means we should
add this the mapping for section 5.7 - i missed it).  This order line
reference may be simply numeric increments , e.g. 1,2,3,4, but it may
not be - they can use their own identification of order lines.  is that
what you mean with "B1234567" or was that the identifier of the Item?
either way, i think its best to leave this as the data field transmitted
and not assume it has any sequential significance. (i.e. not use the "?
of n" approach)

> (1.3) - for Terms of Payment the XPath address you gave as
> po:Order/cat:AllowanceCharge/cat:TypeCodeID is not found in the set of
> available XPath addresses

you're correct - it was supposed ot be
po:Order/cat:AllowanceCharge/cat:PaymentMeans/cat:TypeCodeID.  however,
this isn't really correct.
the more i think about this, i realise that we don't want to use Terms
of Payment for the Order (only the Invoice).  so lets remove this mapping.

> (1.4) - the sample test instance you made from Sally's data has only
> five visible entries; the teleconference group asked me to summarize
> some of the technical issues and I have done so in:
>
>   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-lcsc/200301/msg00215.html

this limited visibility is not a problem .  just our aerospace instance
isn't a good one for your demonstration forms.  in terms of your
'customization' options - i suspect  yours (option 3) is what we want,
but this is still under discussion with the NDR and CM teams.

> (2) DespatchAdvice
>
> (2.1) - each of Mode of transport and Means of transport allow more
> than one entry but there is only a single line in the form; please see
> the discussion above in 1.1

as above

> (2.2) Container Nr: allows more than one, I can put each on individual
> lines, though more would fit if I wrapped space delimited values;
> which way to go and what about overflow?

wrap , comma delimited values and don't worry about overflow - just keep
going!!  this is the same as with the previous multiple value situations.

> (3) Invoice
>
> (3.1) - Invoice clauses: did you want these each to start on a new
> line and to be enumerated as in (1), (2), ... or (a), (b), ...?

sounds good - but don't add any text (e.g. bullets), just new line

> (3.2) - in Sally's Order instance that you massaged, is the Terms of
> Delivery information supposed to be split into a reference rendered in
> "Terms of Delivery" and prose rendered in "Invoice Clauses"?  If so,
> how would the arbitrary numbering accommodate the unnumbered clauses
> identified in the spec for invoices?

i thought we didn't map 'invoice clauses' in the Order document?  are
you proposing that we use this real estate for the Terms of Delivery?
 The Terms of Delivery will be a code e.g. FOB (possibly more than one)
which is enough for people to understand the general terms.  these are
part of international trade's INCOTERMs codes that are widely used and
understood.

> Faxed mockups of sample field displays may be more easily created than
> trying to mock up layouts in software (my fax number is in my trailer).

it is hard for me to scan and fax - so this is the best i can do for now.

.....   over to Jean!