Subject: RE: [ubl-lcsc] Alan Stitzer Comments on DateTime

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Michael Adcock wrote:

>>The 'Particular Point of Date and/or Time' is (a.)
Ok, independent definition.  Let this be T.

>>The 'Duration' is (b.)
Ok, measures a time range, which may or may not repeat.
Let this be D.

>>The 'Period' is either a combination of (a.) + (b.), (a.) + (a.) or
>>(b.) + (a.)
>>The 'Periodicity/Recurrent'  is either:
>>- a series of (a.) within a (b.)
>>- a series of (Period) within a (b.)
>>- a series of (a.) within a (Period)
>>- a series of (b.) within a (Period)
>>which seems to imply we need to define only expressions for (a.) and
>>(b.).

Think I agree with Michael Adcock that (a) & (b) may not be
sufficient.  Fundamental Physics of waves (and others) defines
a "period" to be the minimum amount of time over which a
complete wavelength spans.  A wave necessarily repeats itself
over and over until the source terminates wave generation.
For instance, a person blowing flute in G# for 5 seconds
produces a wave of period P at time T for a duration D=5 seconds.

Borrowing that concept from Physics, then, Period necessarily
implies a recurrent activity.  The "recurrence" R attribute is
then a vector that defines a starting point T (e.g. when the
flute starts to sound), and an ending point E (e.g. 5 seconds
after start, or an absolute date-time reference), thus giving
a duration of D = (E - T).

So basically, it would seem that T, D, P and R are all quite
independent variables.

Just to give another perspective, but I'll leave the
decision to the group

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML