Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: RE: [ubl-lcsc] [roe] OAG comment: CountryIdentificationCodecan be a data type of Country Code]]

While I agree that Fred's solution better fits the CCTS model, I think there's a problem when you implement this solution in XML Schema.  Specifically, it is related to the use of derivation by extension or derivation by restriction.

I see Fred's solution as a derivation by restriction model which is technically fine according to XML Schema.  The problem is when derivation by restriction is actually implemented, it breaks the inheritance relationship between elements/types based on other types.  Therefore, changes to a "base" type will not be inherited by an element/type based on the "base" type if derivation by restriction is implemented.  This is a fairly well known issue with XML Schema and I'm sure lots of other people have already explained this problem much better than I ever could so I'm not going to get into any additional detail.

Many organizations (including OAGI) prohibit or discourage derivation by restriction because of this limitation regarding inheritance.  I did not see anything in UBL NDR that specifically addresses this but I'm pretty sure derivation by restriction is not used in any of the UBL xsd files.

I'm definitely not an XML Schema guru so there may be other ways to work around this problem (or an organization may decide that inheritance is not that important).  However, this is some of the background that went into the OAGI Core Component WG decision to implement CountryCode as a Data Type.

Regards,

garret

"Monica J. Martin" wrote:

Earlier in the process of developing the CCSD draft primer, a similar
question was raised.  Fred vanBlommestein created a short position paper
of options to consider which I have attached with his agreement.  Please
feel free to direct any questions, as Fred had detailed discussions on
this subject during previous UN/CEFACT meetings.

Thanks to Fred for his assistance (Fred, I believe this is the paper,
but I really had to search to find it from back in December 2002).

Monica