Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] Re: Position Paper on List Containers

thanks tony, for the sanity check. i was afraid it may look like that .
i guess i was a consultant too long - justifying what the client wanted!
 this was not the intention, but bear in mind we are (sort of) arguing
the 'against' case because NDR have already given the judgement 'for'.

i also had two problems with the 'for' case:

1. the only useful example of repetition was Invoice. Line Item and the
structure was so complex it would 2-3 pages to show the schema or a
repeating fragment!  this does sound a bit weak (i accept your 'small
example' comment) so i think we should draw attention to it in the
document.  i suspect the reasons we could not come up with too many
other useful examples of repitition is that, having normalized the data
models, we have actually created the mythical "qualifying structures"
that list containers are supposed to provide an alternative to.

and

2. in scouring the mail archive and NDR lists i cannot find:
 - explanations of why performance is better.  as you say this is mostly
heresay, the only technical arguments (from Bill Burcham) have been
against this. i have now had some useful material from Stephen about the
progamming aspects of list containers which  will (at least) recognise
we have tried to address these matters.
 - any (valid) examples of improvements in legibility.  thank you for
the Internet Explorer example - i will use that.

I recognise that post-Montreal we attempted to develop 'selective list
containers' in our models.  this has proven difficult as the decision
should really be based on document instances, and this is too hard to
predict.  (note the PhysicalAttribute example).  a point i could add
when using selective list containers is that we also create a problem
where implementators cannot immediately identify which structures have
list containers and which don't, e.g. "does BasePrice have a list?" or
worse still "does BasePrice have a list within Invoice?"

I feel we can stand by the conclusion, given that we do attempt to make
more of the 'for' case.

Finally, i note with interest your comment about 'annotations' and urge
you to bring these to the attention of the NDR group( if you have not
already).  They are currently debating which flavour of annotation
(documentation or appinfo) we should use.  you are are suggested both
are irrelevant ! or is that just for 'reference' (which i confess to not
understanding)  It then begs the question of where else the meta-data
(which contains the critical semantic definitions of the entities) can
go in the schema.  We have stated the the schema is the only normative
form of UBL and so I dont see how we can avoid this information being in
there.  But seriously, are we going to be guided by TurboXML? i know
that sounds fatuous but in the history of design we sometimes have to
take a lead.  we could have the chicken and egg debate about demand
versus supply forever. Think of the now trite limitations put onto
designs because of perceived limitations of tools.  In Montreal we
rejected the idea of limitations on tag name lengths simply because some
RDBM's dont handle more the 32 caharcter column names!  There is a
principle at stake here.

Regardless of that issue, the point of concern here is not our
"difficulty of making annotations relevant to all usages when they are
attached to a global definition" - it is that each usage needs its own
global definition.  rather like your comment about AddressLine0-7List
and AddressLine1-3List,  my point is that we need different list
defintions for each usage (i.e. AllowanceChargeTaxCategoryList is not
the same as ItemTaxCategoryList).  The annotations merely makes this
difference clearer - it is not the annotation that is the problem
(removing the hazard warning signs does not make the road safer).