Subject: LCSC Position Paper on the use of List Containers

Please find attached the documentation provided as preparatory reading
for the joint LC/NDR call on Tuesday 2nd September.

Due to the overall level of concern about this matter it was felt that a
real world example would be necessary to identify the strengths and
weaknesses of implementing these rules and allow an objective debate on
their value.
Three versions of the current UBL Library were developed and implemented
in conceptual model, XSD Schema and XML instances.  These were:
a. The current UBL Library with no list container structures
b. The current UBL Library with suitable list container structures
selectively identified by the LC team
c. The current UBL Library with list container structures for all BIEs
with potentially multiple occurrences (i.e a cardinality of either 0..n
or 1..n)

These documents represent the outcome of a test implementation of the
NDR rules concerning List Containers.

 From this exercise we believe we have been unable to demonstrate any
pronounced architectural benefits in using List Containers, either in
processing performance or readability.  Furthermore, even if some easily
recognized value could be identified for using list containers, these
would need to outweigh the difficulty of their consistent implementation
into the UBL library.  We therefore suggest that Rule 116 be
reconsidered by the UBL NDR team.

We shall take the opportunity of our upcoming joint call to present this
paper to the NDR team and would be happy to take questions if required.

The primary document in this set is entitled
"position-lcsc-listcontainers-02.pdf ".  Also included are:

The UBL Library models used in the test cases:
UBL-Invoice-0.81-draft-8.sxc
UBL-Reusable-0.81-draft-8.sxc
UBL-Invoice-0.81-draft-8-all-lists.sxc
UBL-Reusable-0.81-draft-8-all-lists.sxc

The XSD schemas used:
UBL-Invoice-0.81-draft-8.xsd
UBL-Reusable-0.81-draft-8.xsd
UBL-Reusable-0.81-draft-8-selected-lists.xsd
UBL-Invoice-0.81-draft-8-selected-lists.xsd
UBL-Invoice-0.81-draft-8-all-lists.xsd
UBL-Reusable-0.81-draft-8-all-lists.xsd
- and supported schemas....
UBL-CoreComponentParameters-0.81-draft-8-all-lists.xsd
UBL-CoreComponentParameters-0.81-draft-8.xsd
UBL-CoreComponentTypes-0.81-draft-8-all-lists.xsd
UBL-CoreComponentTypes-0.81-draft-8.xsd

The XML instances created:
UBL-Invoice-0.81-draft-8-all-lists-JoineryExample.xml
UBL-Invoice-0.81-draft-8-selected-lists-JoineryExample.xml
UBL-Invoice-0.81-draft-8-JoineryExample.xml

phone: +618 93352228

position-lcsc-listcontainers-02.zip