Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] qualified vs unqualified local elements

As I begin gathering arguments regarding local vs global element
declarations, and unqualified vs qualified local elements, I reviewed
several very, very long threads of discussion on xml-dev during August
2001.  I'll summarize the recommendations in a position paper, but for
those who are interested in more detail...

(Kelly, can you provide a pointer to the thread you mentioned
regarding complexType restriction and local elements?)

The core arguments for why local elements are part of XSD (and why
they should be unqualified) is contained in these four messages:

An initial explanation of qualified vs unqualified local elements:

Explains two uses cases for why similar functionality was added to
SOX, which influenced XSD:

Read the quoted message at the end before reading the reply on this
one: