Subject: RE: [ubl-ndrsc] Three new use cases (more detailed)

First off: thanks to Dave and Maryann for biting off the scary use case
thingie.  I have feedback on two levels: one, specifically the "Customize
UBL Schema" use case, and two: the content of our use cases in general...

Is there a way, or is it even important, in our use cases to highlight the
_value_ of UBL in the context of the use case?  For instance, I just read
the "Customize UBL Schema" use case and to me, the value of UBL in this
context is left implicit.  I'd like to make the value explicit, and I'd like
to do that as part of the use case creation effort since it is that value
which is the primary determinant of the use case's importance (which then
helps us rank the use cases and manage our effort).

To make that value explicit in the "Customize UBL Schema" use case, for
instance, I might add to the "Basic Flow" section something like this:

The derived schema carries information explicitly relating it to its
sources.  That derivation information can be used by a translation process
to allow certain degrees of interoperability at runtime.  For instance, <and
then, left as an exercise for the reader, we give an example of what schema
pedigree coupled to a runtime processor might let users accomplish>

To my mind _that_ is the real value of UBL nee CC context methodology.  Then
to get extra explicit, I might add a section called "Value" and in it I
might say:

The UBL methodology prescribes, that derived schemas carry a pedigree.  That
information, may be processed at runtime to gain higher levels of
interoperability and resilience to change than would otherwise be possible
with for instance, simple XSD based derivation.

So the general comment is that somehow I think we should come out of our use
case exercise with some key _values_ that UBL brings.  (I don't want to use
or hear the term "value proposition" ok :-)  By writing those values down,
we come to shared understanding (or fist fights) quickly.

-Bill