Subject: RE: [ubl-ndrsc] Tag structure discussion

Title: RE: [ubl-ndrsc] Tag structure discussion

>After all, why are ebXML
> elements given
> unstructured UIDs?

In the ebXML architecture, the work of matching the UID to the tag/core component/bie occurs in the registry so structure is unimportant.  You will either know the value of the item you are looking for, or not.  If you have structured tags, then it is much more likely that you will get a match.  I don't see how having a structured ID number will in any way ease the lookup or cross reference.  Just as you must follow the rules for structured tag (Object Class, Property Term, Representation Term), so you must follow the rules for developing a structured UID.  In both cases, the ability to follow the rules is important to arrive at something that can be searched for.  Neither has an advantage over the other, other than structured tags carry a semantic value that structured UID's do not and so are more intuitive and less dependent on a mathematical conversion routine. And remember, a large part of our audience will be folks that must rely on what they see to convey semantic clarity.

I wholeheartedly agree that structure of the tag name is important, especially when we consider that one of the principle aims of UBL is to develop a standard business XML vocabulary (See Jon's recent presentation and the prominence this theme plays).  Unstructured, or semi-structured tags just do not accomplish this goal. However, the argument for structured ID's just hasn't convinced me they are necessary.  It seems to me it is a lot of complication that adds an unnecessary layer on top of  the structured tag name approach.

Mark