Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Elements vs. attributes: discussion kickoff

Eve,

If I remember the details of the XSD specification, default values for
elements don't work the same (relatively intuitive) way as those for
attributes.  In particular, a missing optional element with a default value
isn't added to the post schema validation infoset.  I don't remember the
details but it might mean an element with a default value has to be present in
an instance (but empty?) to make the default "work".

Gunther,

In general, your document looks good but seems to expect only DTD-aware
processing, especially around datatype support.  Your comments about attribute
ordering are also slightly incomplete since order is significant for values in
a list such as NMTOKENS.  I completely agree with all space efficiency and
clear semantic differentiation arguments in favour of attributes.

Could you correct a few typos while revising the document?  I tripped over
"The type of attribute that relating...", "Attributes can be built in are
unordered" and "Attributes are ambiguity and not..."

Very much related to this discussion but coming out of the face-to-face
minutes, the choice of ID for all Identifier representation terms seems
problematic given a tendency for XML parsers to assume all attributes named
"ID" have type "ID" and preventing duplication within a document.  I've seen
problems with this first hand because documents are often combined to create
larger ones.  Unscoped uniqueness constraints fit well only for documents that
will never be combined and we can't mandate in this area.  My apologies if I'm
misunderstanding the minutes or otherwise trodding through material already
covered.

thanx,
    doug