Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Code lists: discussion kickoff

I'll add a few additional comments, mostly to expand upon what Eve has said below.

This document currently seems to be focused on intermediate elements, those
containing other information and of some aggregate type defined elsewhere.  I agree
that such elements may either include a "role" element or attribute to disambiguate
its meaning or be named more explicitly.  I also agree the second approach helps with
required vs. optional constraints when they apply to particular roles.  I don't agree
this is the only code list issue worth discussing.

As Eve describes, we have some additional issues to resolve with respect to external
code lists.  How are internal and external code lists combined and disambiguated (and
when are such combinations appropriate)?  Should we make any recommendations about
versioning the external code lists, identifying the version used in an instance and
changing the version used without modifying the schema?  If a recipient does not
recognize an external code list, should the instance provide any information helpful
in finding information about that list or should this be an error?  Is schema
validation of external code list values ever a requirement?  Should our schema
include snapshots of external code lists to reduce reliance on external groups making
changes independent of our releases?  Should our schema include machine verifiable
lists of code lists values for those external groups not yet using schema?  Do copy
write issues crop up almost immediately?  How should an external code list value be
identified in an instance (say, org, list type and value)?  How is that information
structured and constrained (URI values as Eve suggests below are one possibility,
though few external groups are paying any attention to creating such namespaces)?

Additional issues may come from elements requiring a "role set".  For example, a
Party might be identified once in a document but the instance may inform the
recipient that party acts as Supplier, Shipper and Logistics Provider (probably not
real EDI role names).  In such cases, is it necessary to repeat all of the details
about the same Party multiple times within well-named intermediate wrappers?

I'm not sure it's an issue but are there cases where code lists may be used apart
from property terms?  Such cases may result in additional issues.

thanx,
    doug