Subject: Elements vs. Attributes - was Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Minutes for 6 March 2002UBL NDR meeting

There's one thing that has just occurred to me, related to the discussion we
had this morning.

While we were talking, the mental model I had was that of an amount X, expressed
as a currency Y; thus, I agreed to:
<amount currency="Y">X</amount>

This was clarified later as:
<amount currency="Y">
	<price>X</price>
</amount>

(for those who weren't in the discussion, please remember these are mental
models, or just examples, and do not intend to convey anything about element
tag names, etc.)

And looking now at it, I see that what was originally metainformation about
the value X has now migrated to be treated as metainformation of <amount>,
whereas it really should be metainformation of <price>; this may become
particularly important if <amount> were to become a more complex element
that contains more than price.

So, I'm not sure whether I'm nitpicking or not, I'd like to propose
that the actual example be
<amount>
	<price currency="y">X</price>
</amount>

Or am I totally wrong, and currency is actually metainfo on amount?