Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Important eBTWG Code/CCT discussion

After reading (quickly, I admit) through this thread, I'm not sure
there's a lot of merit in the idea of unifying codes and identifiers at
some level.  I would want to ask the question: What hard benefit might
come out of seeing one of them "derived from" the other or both of them
"derived from" a common ancestor somehow?  For example, would there be
any processing code in common that could make use of this family
relationship?

I suspect the answer is that there's no benefit; what's more useful is
the particular pattern of supplementary components they each have, which
distinguishes rather than unifying them.  Also, to me they simply seem
like different enough beasts (identifier semantics include uniqueness,
while code semantics convey classification according to a published
scheme) to justify keeping them separate.  And this isn't even to
address the difficulties we've been having with understanding
identifiers on their own...

However, I may not have enough context to understand the argument being
made.  Can you expound?

	Eve