Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] Re: [ubl-comment] ARTS comments on NDR dist #2

Herewith, some responses (which I will forward to the commenters):

Eve L. Maler wrote:
> FYI-- The following comments from the ARTS (retail) organization were
> sent on NDR distribution #2.  I will try to respond to as many points as
> possible in a followup posting.  Many thanks for the comments!
>
>     Eve

We do have a goal to make all our outputs more professional-looking and
consistent in our next distribution, so your comments are a timely
reminder of items we have to take care of.  A bit of context may explain
how they got to be the way they are:

Although our position papers are starting to reach more consistency of
style, they represent individual opinions and not (typically) group
consensus and so we haven't been putting as much emphasis on their
style.  A new template became available for publishing OASIS documents,
and (mea culpa -- I'm the author of the template!) the first version
used the wrong OASIS logo.  Because some of these position papers have
been around for months, though, some use the style they originally
started with, before we took advantage of any stylistic guidance.

> *__*
> *_Global vs. Local:_*
> *a.* The abstract doesn't inform the reader that the document is a
> proposal to change a previous guideline.
 >
> *b.* Lines 46 & 47 of the introduction states the original guideline but
> does not (and should) continue with a short statement of the problems
> that this guideline has created. Introduction should conclude with a
> short statement that the remainder of the document proposes a solution
> to these problems.
>
> *c. *Although the example XML instance documents on lines 268 - 300
> illustrate the problem being solved: (extension writers end up having to
> qualify every name in every instance document).  The problem is never
> stated, and nor are the ramifications and likely consequences of those
> problems discussed.
>
> *d.* Line 402 "4.2  Globally Qualified Solution"   should be "4.2 An
> Alternative Solution", make it clear that this is a proposal for change.
>
> *e.* The author has decided he (she?) is proposing one solution to the
> stated problem. Are there other ways of extending the UBL schemas with
> out having to us name-space qualifiers everywhere?  If so then more
> possibilities should be discussed. It is after all a position paper,
> which is attempting to convince the reader to agree with the author.

This paper is in its very early stages.  We'll make sure all your very
good comments get discussed.

> *__*
> *_Facets:_*
> *a.* This document is obviously a very early working draft, it needs to
> include a description of what facets are, with an example, and why they
> need to be used, perhaps just http: link to appropriate W3C documentation.

You're right that it's an early draft; it's still at V01.

You bring up a good question about how much we should update our
position papers once we decide on the relevant set of recommendations.
To be honest, the position papers are largely an "internal" device that
we've been exposing in review distributions in order to get feedback on
the technical content.  It's been a bit of a resource struggle to update
them thoroughly to keep up with actual decisions made by the group.
They also often assume a fairly high level of XSD knowledge, as you note.

For example, it has been suggested to the author of the facets paper
that it should be merged over into the main NDR document with a fuller
explanation of the details of our recommendations around "pairs" of
datatypes for Core Component Types, since the NDR document doesn't
really cover that yet and the facets rationale for this is just one
(though the most important) rationale.

My hope has been that the position papers would stand as good "rationale
documents" once the NDR document is complete, but resource constraints
may make this a bit of a challenge.  I'd be interested to hear feedback
on whether people really need them to be "finished/polished" as
documents or whether we should just try to set expectations differently.

> *_Code Lists_*
> *a.*  Line 67, a reference to the guideline outlining the use of 'Codes'
> in UBL is appropriate.  Other XML vertical initiatives have decided that
> codes are to be used in a very limited fashion (if at all). A reader new
> to UBL may need such a reference.

I confess I hadn't thought of recommending that code use be limited; we
have assumed that code use would be fairly extensive, since codes are
shortcuts for well-documented semantics that UBL would get to use "for
free".  Can you comment more on why the other initiatives you're
familiar with decided to steer clear of them?

The actual "content" decisions (e.g., minimum requirements for
supporting specific actual code lists, and the choices of which
components should be code-containing) need to be made by our Library
Content Subcommittee, so the NDR group hasn't ventured there to date.

> *_Elements vs. Attributes_*
> *a.* * *There appears to be no rules about removing words deemed to be
> spurious because of the hierarchical nature of XML, Example:
> <Order>
>     <OrderHeader>
>         <From/>
>         <To/>
>     </OrderHeader>
>     <OrderBody>
>         <OrderLineItem/>
>         <OrderLineItem/>
>     </OrderBody>
> </Order>
>
> Could become, because the XML nesting hierarchy provides sufficient
> context.
> <Order>
>     <Header>
>         <From/>
>         <To/>
>     </Header>
>     <Body>
>         <LineItem/>
>         <LineItem/>
>     </Body>
> </Order>

Just such a recommendation is encapsulated in our naming rules
(appearing in the NDR document itself, but formerly hashed out in our
old "tag structure" position paper, a paper that we've agreed not to
update to match our decisions).  By requiring that the object class name
not be part of the name of an element, we allow for just such
elision/reuse opportunities.

The elements vs. attributes paper was created to help us settle the
age-old question of when to choose one over the other.  By the way, it
turns out that we have more work to do in this area, to cover the
situations where a supplementary component of a Core Component Type
itself requires supplementary components.  One of the inelegant things
about XML, unless you never use attributes... :-)

I hope that these responses have been helpful.  We would be glad to take
a look at any further comments.

Regards,

	Eve