Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Minutes for 28 August 2002 UBL NDR SC meeting

Mavis-- Thanks for doing such a great job on NDR stuff this week!  Some
questions and comments below:

Mavis Cournane wrote:
> 1. Roll call (quorum is 8)
>
> * Bill Burcham        YES
>      * Mavis Cournane      YES
>      * Mark Crawford       YES y:10
>      * Fabrice Desré       no
>      * Matt Gertner        no
>      * Arofan Gregory      YES
>      * Jessica Glace       YES x:50
>      * Michael Grimley     YES
>      * Eduardo Gutentag    YES
>      * Eve Maler           no
>      * Sue Probert         YES
>      * Lisa Seaburg        YES
>      * Gunther Stuhec      no
>      * Paul Thorpe         YES
>      * Kris Ketels         no
>
> Quorum acheived (x:15)
>

> 2. Acceptance of minutes of previous meeting

>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/200208/msg00032.html
>
> Minutes accepted
>
> 3. Adoption of agenda/schedule planning
>
>     August 28:
>     - Regrets from Eve
>     - Regrets Fabrice
>     - NDR document review
>     September 4:
>     - Regrets from Paul Thorpe
>     September 11:
>     - Regrets from Paul Thorpe, possibly from folks in Geneva
>     - NDR document review
>     September 18:
>     - Regrets from Gunther Stuhec
>     - Approve documents for review distribution #3
>     September 25:
>     - No meeting; work on other UBL tasks instead
>     October 1-4:
>     - F2F #5 in Burlington, MA, USA
>
>     A NDR document improvements (review every two weeks)
>     A+ Embedded documentation NEARLY DONE
>     A Code lists IN PROGRESS
>     A Dates and times IN PROGRESS
>     A Nested supplementary components IN PROGRESS
>     A Identifier references and whether to pass content by reference
>     A- Local vs. global elements
>     B+ Containership IN PROGRESS

It looks like this has become an A+. :-)

>     B Updating guiding principles
>     B Modnamver URN/schema location
>     B Referencing of content, e.g. for attachments
>     C Facets
>     C Wildcards/open content
>     C Nillability
>     C Aggregation of similar information for XPath V1.0 addressing
>
> 4. Action item review
>
>    Lisa:
>     - Send out the normalization paper. DONE
>     - NEW: Ask Tim to fix the Identifier->ID spreadsheet formula bug.  80% DONE
>     - NEW: Check whether we have an inappropriate rule on treating
>       RTs as reserved. DONE (none found)
>
>     Arofan:
>     - Update the embedded documentation paper according to August 7
>       decisions. DONE

Cool!  Has this been sent out?

>     Mavis:
>     - Update the issues spreadsheet with Eve's comments.
>     - Amend NDR document to add example code for Period. DONE
>     - Update NDR draft 15 with comments from our August 14 comments.
>       DONE
>     - Update issues spreadsheet to contain externally received NDR
>       comments. DONE
>
>     Eve:
>     - Finish draft of code list document. IN PROGRESS

I'm considering this DONE, though I'll probably do small updates over
time.  (We do have a few outstanding issues in there.)

>     - See if Mavis might be available for August 28 call. DONE
>     - NEW: Raise awareness of the containership issue to the CSC.

This is DONE.

>     Gunther:
>     - Write content referencing paper. IN PROGRESS
>     - Send date/time NDR snippets to Mavis. IN PROGRESS
>     - With Arofan, prepare samples of how to handle second-tier
>       attributes. IN PROGRESS
>     - Bring the donkey to Burlington!
>
>     Bill:
>     - Update modnamver paper by September 11.
>     - Start an email thread proposing a schema location solution.
>     - NEW: Start a thread on RTs in aggregates and possible NDR
>       document bugs in this area.

In talking with Bill about this a couple of days ago, I got the
impression he was happy with the NDR wording and didn't find any bugs.
So this may be CANCELED.

> 5. Other SC reports
>
> Lisa Seaburg reported that the LCSC discussed the distribution and are awaiting
> comments on it.
> Matt is no longer the chair of CM.
>
> 6. Chairs SC issues
>
>      A. How to put the containerize rule to the UBL comments list. (Arofan to
> explain)
>      B. Joint meetings between NDR and LCSC.
>
> THe Chairs SC met on Mon August 2th. The issue was raised regarding 3 differing
> opinions on containership.  It became clear Gunther's OO, Tims view of
> methodology and Arofan's containership are in conflict. To help resolve the
> issues there will be common calls for the LCSC and NDRSC next week. Mavis will
> receive call details for the joint LCSC call on Tues from Lisa and advise NDR
> participants. Jon Bosak suggested that NDR propose a containership rule on the
> UBL-Comment List for discussion. NDR will spend time on wording this rule today
> and put it into a form for public review. In terms of the joint call next Tues
> with LCSC Arofan can make it, Michael cannot, Bill won't make it, Eduardo will
> try, Lisa will make it, Sue probably not, Paul won't and Mavis will try.

I can make at least the first hour.

> The NDR SC worked on the wording of the Containership proposal and puts forward
> the following:
>
> The NDR SC advocates the use of containers for the following reasons:
>
> * having the flexibility to extend content models using XSD
> * for efficient use of existing XML tools and technologies (e.g. XPath etc.)
> * general issues of clarity and usability
>

> The NDR SC wishes to put forth the following rule for containership for
> feedback from participants on the ubl-comment list. This proposal merely
> touches on part of the wider containership issue. Please note that this
> diverges from the modelling in the current distribution OP65.
>
> A group of like elements constitutes a model element in its own right. The type
> of the containing element has a relationship to the type of the contained
> element.  The name of the container Type  uses the type name of the contained
> element and adds the word "List".
>
> Here is an example of the proposed model:
>
> The Order object class has a property called LineItemList. LineItemList is an
> instance of the object class called LineItemList.  A LineItemList contains one
> or more instances of object class LineItem.
>
> The dictionary entry name for this property LineItemList is
> Order.LineItemList.LineItemList.

This assumes that we are no longer using "Details" in the position of a
representation term, but instead the type of the property.  I agree with
this idea in principle, but did this get discussed as a separate item
and agreed to?  Conflating the type-as-RT issue with containership of
series of like items -- especially since 0pt65 emphatically doesn't
follow this type-as-RT rule -- may be very confusing to reviewers.

> When the  existing naming rules are applied the resultant XML element name
> would be LineItemList.
>
> Consequently, you have the freedom to choose a property term that differs from
> the representation term to accomodate elements that might be named as follows:
> Dictionary Entry Name = Order.Accepted.LineItemList with an XML element name of
> AcceptedLineItemList.

This isn't how our existing naming rules work (I thought).  We assume in
our rules that "Details" is the RT, and "Details" always gets dropped --
but if the RT is something else (at the aggregate level), we don't say
whether it gets dropped.

> Here are the XML instances for these two examples
>
> Example 1.
> <LineItemList>
>     <LineItem...></LineItem...>
>     <LineItem...></LineItem...>
>     <LineItem...></LineItem...>
> </LineItemList>
>
> Note that LineItemList is of type LineItemList.
>
> Example 2.
> <AcceptedLineItemList>
>     <LineItem...></LineItem...>
>     <LineItem...></LineItem...>
>     <LineItem...></LineItem...>
> </AcceptedLineItemList>
>
> Note that here also the type of AcceptedLineItemList is LineItemList.

By the way, I couldn't see how Mike Grimley's correction differed from
what you have here.

> 7. NDR Draft 16 Review
> Done
> NDR Spreadsheet Review deferred.
>
> 8. Finish embedded documentation decisions
>
>      deferred
> 9. Adjourn
> Y:50

Thanks,

	Eve

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 883 5917
XML Web Services / Industry Initiatives      eve.maler @ sun.com