Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Release Note Wording: Extensions and Ur

I hate to say this and find out I'm wrong, but...  Though we didn't do a
formal vote, I thought we had reached consensus in Minneapolis on
"full".  It was proposed in the first place as an improvement over
"empty" that is immediately usable to customizers without extra
application layers and gives interop benefits.

	Eve

Burcham, Bill wrote:
> I'll reiterate the concern I raised in the phone con yesterday: there are
> two proposals for solving the problem here and both involve a library of
> ur-types.  The old proposal (paella) proposes an ur-type library of empty
> types (names only), the newer proposal prescribes an ur-type library of
> "full" types (where each element of each type is optional).  Until we've
> debated the pros/cons of empty vs. full, can we change the description to
> something like:
>
> (4) XSD derivation does not allow certain types of operations, such as
> creating a derived type with optional content that was required in the base
> type. Because these operations might be needed in real-world business
> implementations of UBL, a top-level or "Ur" library of types will be created
> in a separate namespace, mirroring the UBL library. The UBL library will be
> derived from this Ur Library, which will also be available to UBL
> implementors when they need to create a type that cannot be derived directly
> from one of the UBL types.
>
> (I just removed "but with all content models containing only optional
> elements and attributes").
>
> Is that ok?

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com