Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] Global versus Local

Title: Global versus Local

Hello all,

here I have generated an xml-schema with declared global elements now. Tim modified this schema a little bit. You'll find Tim's package as a zipped attachment with the file name: UBL_LCSC_2002_01_16_Tim.zip.

<<UBL_LCSC_2002_01_16_Tim.zip>>

Since I have a reasonable perl-script for generating xml-schema output from the different kinds of excel spreadsheets, I'm testing the different possibilities for the representation of xml-schemas. Therefore, for me it was very easily possbile to see the advantages and disadvantages of the declaration of global elements or local elements which are based on complex types. I mentioned these problems since our Burlington meeting last year and a gave some reminders about difficulties of global elements in a couple of mails. I know, that we made a decision using the declaration of global elements only. But at this time, we hadn't the idea how this decision impacts very huge and complex xml-schema structures. I guess, these outputs question our decisions.

Our main criterias for using global elements are the direct usage of elements as the typical design choice. See our discussion in http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/200210/msg00003.html. But I have seen that the using of global elements do have much more disadvantages, which might be k.o. criterias. I know, that we will distribute our packages at the beginning of next week. But I think, it is very important to discuss about the global versus local issue, again. For this discussion I collected all known disadvantages of using global elements:

I generated xml-schema output, which every CC (ACC and BCC) representing on complex type. And all local elements are BIEs (BBIEs or ASBIEs) with short tag names. And this BIEs based on the complex types. You'll find this example as a second attachment. I guess this representation is highly reusable, although.

<<UBL_LCSC_2002_01_16.zip>>

Kind regards,

        Gunther