Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Removing use of "-" in element and type names

In London, we also asked the NDR to add "no punctuation" to the UBLName
rule.  We encountered this when we discovered the current script/Perl
has issues with the use of apostrophes.  it just shows that we need to
avoid technologically sensitive features in tag names.

As far as the Dictionary Entry Names goes, i believe, the CCTS rule on
this states we can use "-" when they do not conflict with the OED
(Oxford English) entry.  in london we agreed to remove "-" (and other
punctuation such as apostrophes) if not required by the OED (a bit
stronger than CCTS against their use).  however, if for example, we find
a property term that the OED says needs a hyphen we must use it.
 hopefully, this will be rare but not guaranteed.  the use of hyphens is
generally an interim phase before two words become one, so they dont
last and can normally be used without the "-".

So, given this all happens, what end up with is UBLNames that have no
punctuation (only boring a-Z) BUT Dictionary Entry Names (and their
composite parts) that may have things like "-".  Hopefully, this is good
enough for Java and Perl ;-)

--
regards
tim mcgrath