Subject: Minutes 27 August 2003

Agenda
1. Roll call and welcome by the chair (Lisa)

Attendance:  Lisa Seaburg, Anne Hendry, Paul Thorpe, Mike Grimley, Stephen
Green, Jon Bosak, Sue Probert, Mavis Cournane, Gunther Stuhec, Mark Crawford

Next Face to Face is Nov 3 - 7 in San Francisco.  The address is 635 Howard
Street, San Francisco.  Start making your arrangements early, there should
be lots of good hotel deals.

2.  Adoption of agenda/schedule planning

Upcoming Call Schedule:

Aug 27 - Lisa
Sept 2 - Tim(Joint with LCSC)
Sept 3 - Mark (Joint with LCSC)
Sept 10 - Mavis (Review Schema from LCSC this week)
Sept 17 - Lisa (Mark to hand over NDR document to Mavis and Lisa)
Sept 24 - Mark
Oct 1 - Mavis
Oct 8 - Lisa
Oct 15 - Mark
Oct 22 - Mavis

October 31 HALLOWEEN RELEASE UBLv1-Alpha

 AI:  Get in touch with Mark and find out status of Draft of the NDR
Document
 AI:  Reviewed by the NDR SC

In our joint meeting next week, we need to align NDR and LC ideas about
scheduling.

The finished NDR document needs to be finished in time for the release.

Schema validation needs the checklist.

Next weeks discussion needs to go through anything that is not resolved.

We need to select a date that the document needs to be published by, to help
our editor with something to work for.

AI:  We need to get the editing of the document clearly stated.  We think
right now that the work done was the rules were pulled out of the document
for the checklist, the checklist has been gone through and then they were
going to be back into the places that they were coming out of.

3. Discussion of CCTs types (token versus string) and others.  This was
something that came up in the LCSC call, that they felt belonged with NDR,
Stephen Green will help get this discussion started.

 Email from Stephen Green:

 Just by way of introduction to item 3

 > 3. Discussion of CCTs types (token versus string) and others.  This was
 > something that came up in the LCSC call, that they felt belonged with
NDR,
 > Stephen Green will help get this discussion started.

 At present all the UBL 'Identifiers' (in the business model sense) are
based on Core Component types which are themselves based on xsd:token.

 When we added, at eGov request, the GUID to the models, I chose for it the
Core Component type 'Text' since this was based on xsd:string and I wasn't
sure about the use of xsd:token for something like a GUID. Discussions of
this at the Montreal face-to-face revealed that there are actually
uncertainties about the appropriateness of xsd:token for any identifier
(such as an ID which is actually an Order Number or Invoice Number). It was
found that xsd:token restricts a string to exclude, most importantly, white
space. Now the feeling is that no such restriction is acceptable for an ID.
For instance, a business may require that an order number have certain
characters (perhaps representing some business meaning) at certain positions
within it. This might involve some need to preserve white space if that data
does not always have the same length. In general, white space may carry
business meaning or information in any particular ID.

 This raises the matter that the appropriateness of all the chosen Core
Components should be reviewed concerning their base types.

 The GUID is probably the only ID that should be a identifier.  All other
identifiers will possibly have white space and so need to be something to
allow this.

 GS:  We could use "normalized string" it allows you to put more than one
whitespace between the value spaces."  It does not drop off leading white
spaces.

 Normalized string means that is does not drop off spaces.

 So we will use the xsd:normalized string instead of xsd:token

 We also need to look at the other CCT types: code is one to look at.

4. Review NDR Rules Checklist.  Where we are and Next Steps.

 Week 9 (8/27) Editing of NDR Doc, checklist of available to LCSC.
 Week 8 (9/3) Editing of NDR Doc, checklist of available to LCSC.
 Week 7 (9/10) Cleaned up version of rules with new numbers assigned to
groups with some narrative before Mark leaves for TC154.
 Week 6 (9/17) Full narrative draft of document to NDRSC.
 Week 5 (9/24) Start review with NDR Doc.
 Week 4 (10/1) Start review with LCSC of NDR Doc.
 Week 3 (10/8) NDR Doc review by SC
 Week 2 (10/15) NDR Doc review by SC
 Week 1 (10/22) NDR Doc review by SC
 Week 0 (10/29) Release on Friday

5. SubCommittee Reports
 LCSC Report (Stephen or Anne) -
  They are working on getting schema out, draft 8 will have 3 versions to
get the containership thing sorted out.  Still bits and pieces to tie up.
There are still open action items.  Finished the Core Components submission.

  The container reports will be available to the NDR group. and contain 3
examples of the invoice for joinery.

  We still need to work through the namespace/functional area issue, this
has been pushed aside because of other work going on.  This should be added
to the agenda for the joint call.

  Issues that need to be tied up:
   Containership
   Codelists
   Packages - namespaces/functional grouping
   CCT
   Extra modeling things: reducing plurals
   Review of NDRs to make sure we are following them.

 QA LCSC Packaging Report (Lisa or Marion)

 Overview of directory structure:
  UBLv1_alpha
    xml (examples): Stephen Green, Bill Meadows
    xsd (schema):  Chee-Kai Chin
    sss (spreadsheets): Tim McGrath
    uml (models): Tim McGrath
    fs (formatting specs, samples): Ken Holman
     include external links to implementations
    asn (ASN from Paul and John): Paul
    bin (perls scripts and tools): Chee-Kai Chin, Gunther Stuhec
    index.html (Lisa Editor): Lisa Seaburg
    releasenotes.html (Lisa Editor): Lisa Seaburg

 Codelist Work Group -
  None, Gunther is working on a paper.  There has been discussion of
responsibilities of who is doing what.

  AI (Mark/Jon): Lets share with NDRSC the list from the CSC call.

 Tools Report (Chee-Kai or Gunther)
  Perl script is still being worked on.  Big issue is the codelist work,
which is still behind.

  We have two different tools outputting schema.  Both are working.  These
should be identical or we have a problem.

  The two things holding the work back are codelists and containers.  Until
this is all sorted out, we have several working versions of the tools
outputting different types of containers.  This needs to be resolved next
week.

 Context Methodology Report (Eduardo)
  Mavis spoke with Eduardo, we have some rules that seems to belong to the
Context Methodology.

 Forms SC -
  Stephen, they didn't have a meeting last week and are pushing to catch up.
They are not waiting until codelist is finally sorted, they will be trying
to generate specs.  Containers will be involved.

6.  Other Business

7.  Adjourn
Next NDRSC teleconference call is September 3, 2003  (This is a joint call
with LCSC, this is joint for discussion of containership.)

Lisa Seaburg
AEON Consulting
Website: http://www.aeon-llc.com
Email:  lseaburg@aeon-llc.com
Alternative Email: xcblgeek@yahoo.com
Phone: 662-562-7676
Cellphone: 662-501-7676

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun."
                       -Katharine Hepburn
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Seaburg;Lisa
FN:Lisa Seaburg (E-mail)
ORG:Aeon LLC
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(662) 562-7676
ADR;WORK:;;;Senatobia;MS;38668;USA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Senatobia, MS 38668=0D=0AUSA
URL;WORK:http://www.aeon-llc.com
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:lseaburg@aeon-llc.com
REV:20030827T170827Z
END:VCARD