Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Containers?

>- which leads to my next point:
>
>b. some documents (emphasise the 'some') have a structural pattern.  you
>cite the example of Order=Header+LineItem(s) {sometimes people like +
>Summary as well}. i agree these are patterns but what value does formally
>identifying these give us? they are not terribly re-usable because they
>are containers for one specific type of document.  for example, an
>OrderLine cannot be re-used as an InvoiceLine.  they are not universal
>patterns.  in some ways it is

Does it have to be reusable? Maybe that is the hangup.

>unfortunate that UBL chose the procurement business context for its
>initial library.  the Header-Line(s)-Summary is replaced by
>Header-Good(s)-TransportEquipment(s) -Summary or just Header on its own or
>just TransportEquipment(s) in things like Transport documents.  once we
>move away from provurement, it soon gets very messy.  So we come to a
>situation where we would have difficulty formalising an approach to
>identify these structures (outside their already known business
>associations) and the results would not gain more re-usability.
>i have given a fair amount of thought as to why these structures are
>appealling on first examination.  the two answers i can come up with are
>that 'this is how the printed documents always look' or 'it helps with
>containership processing'.  not surprisingly, these are related factors.
>however, i think the former has little bearing on e-business electronic
>documents and the latter (which i understand is an XML issue) seems to be
>debatable.

And is there something wrong with that?

>I think the situation we now have is that we favour not committing to an
>approach we are unsure is necessary.

I agree on the "auto-generated" containers being problematic, but not the
introduction of containers directly in the spreadsheet.

>If i cast your example in pseudo-UBL it would look like this...
>
><PurchaseOrder aka Order>
>        Date
>        Purchaser
>        Shipping Address
>        etc
>    <Order aka OrderLine>*
>        <Item>
>            sku
>            color
>            qty ordered
>            part number
>            desc
>            price
>        </item>
>    </Order aka OrderLine>
></PurcahseOrder aka Order>
>
>- are we really missing anything here?

Did you mean your Order to repeat and not the internal Item? I would ask
what the purpose of the completely useless step between Order and Item is
used for and even why it is there if this is correct. That is a "container"
that I can't come up with a need for. The Order is all the items that it
contains, there aren't multiple orders.

I'm a little less worried about the head=>Order Details idea, so in this
example I would just change where the repetition occurs and I would be much
happier. If  your repetition factor is in the right place then I really
wonder what we are doing and what you see the <Order> element providing.

..dan