Subject: RE: [ubl-lcsc] [code lists] drafct of section to put in documentation - for comment

Title: Message
Hello Tim,

the CCTS describes clearly, how we can define code lists in general (internal and external). We, in UBL have the possibility (better we have the golden opportunity) to put this definition into unambigous XML based naming and design rules. There are accepted rules from NDRSC for defining code list schemas, which are 100% conform to the CCTS.

This rules allows everyone to define his own codelist uniquely and everyone can use this codelists in their UBL-schemas without any modifications and restrictions.

The members in the UN/CEFACT ATG2 are willingness to using the same rules for defining code lists schema. If that accepted, than the most of the other groups will use this rules. Why shouldn't we go this direction, too?

Kind regards,

    Gunther

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim McGrath [mailto:tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au]
Sent: Mittwoch, 29. Oktober 2003 08:44
To: CRAWFORD, Mark
Cc: ubl-lcsc@lists.oasis-open.org; UBL Design Rules (E-mail)

Everyone is wholly supportive of the use of externally-maintained code list values in UBL.  No questions there.  The question is *how* to incorporate externally-maintained code list values in UBL and the impact on import statements in the delivered UBL schema fragments.

UBL validation incorporates the "in-use" UBL-compliant code list expressions found through import statements that are delivered pointing to files located internally to the package in the "in-use" directory.

When these externally maintained code lists are in foreign code list expressions with non-UBL-compliant namespace URI strings, the supplied XSLT stylesheet can be used to read a foreign code list expression and create a UBL-compliant private-use code list expression for copying into the "in-use" directory to use during validation.  The direct use of the foreign schema expression cannot be easily accommodated due to a ripple effect of having to change all namespace URI strings in UBL to use the foreign values.  I suspect this is where the lines got crossed.

When these externally maintained code lists are in UBL-compliant code list expressions, the installer of UBL has the choice of (1) copying a snapshot of the code list expression into the "in-use" directory (pro: always available for validation; con: may not always be up-to-date); or (2) of editing all of the relevant UBL schema fragments to change the import statement to not use the "in-use" directory and to directly use the external location (pro: always up-to-date; cons: may not always be available for validation due to communication problems and requires the manually editing of the schema expressions to point externally instead of internally).

Bottom line to this is that maintainer of code lists would be encouraged to maintain their own data externally from UBL - as long as it complies to the UBL schemas.  Otherwise we have to manipulate them to be compliant.  In which case they then are obviously UBL internal codes (snap shots).  Ken's concern was that if your intention was to hack the UBL code list mechanism for each variety of 3rd party code schemas it would be a nightmare.  I am pretty sure no one meant to say that.

We want UNCL and ISO and IMO and DISA and other credible organizations to work with us to create defintive codes, but we dont want to comprise the integrity of UBL to do so.  This strategy endorses the approach taken by NDR and Eve with the original code list position paper.

Hope that clear this up, I am sure w can (and will) discuss this more once we get tangible artifacts of real schemas to work with next week.

CRAWFORD, Mark wrote:
Ken,

Are you stating that we would never switch from UBL code lists to externally generated code lists?  NDR was pretty specific in stating that external code lists would be used wherever available, and that any UBL generated code lists would only be used as an interim measure.

Mark